13.3 cm x 7.6 cm liver metastasis

Discussion Board Forums General Discussion 13.3 cm x 7.6 cm liver metastasis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    desperatelee
    Spectator

HI,

Thanks for all your responses. Dad had his first treatment on Wednesday. I think he found it quite anticlimatic-he was expecting a general anaesthetic and some kind of ray gun application(?). He was so pumped that it was so easy!! He has not felt poorly at all-played golf on Thursday as usual, hasn’t missed a meal and is playing bridge tomorrow. He was prescribed Ondansetron and Dexamethasone for nausea, and has experienced none thus far. The staff at the hospital had us well prepared for any eventuality, but I am happy to report no problems. I realize this may change over time, but so far so good. His spirits are great and we are behind him 100%. Mom did go to her family doc to get some sleep aid, as she was having trouble and it was making her feel sick and unable to cope. That really seems to have helped her out. I almost passed out in the chemotherapy suite, but my humiliation greatly amused everyone there. They are planning to get me a bed for next time…

Kris, it’s nice to hear my dad is not the big tumour prize winner-I hope the treatment works for you (and Dad)!!!

Cody, take heart-apparently there is lots of room for these tumours if Dad and Kris are any indication. Christmas, New Year’s, Valentines Day-keep going!!

cody-curtis
    Spectator

Hmm. Lee your dad’s situation is interesting. This is supposed to be a slow growing cancer, but it’s unclear what happens when you find and treat said beasts.

My latest CT scan, after a biliary stent change, showed the biggest tumor in my (previously resected) liver had doubled in seven months. Should that be “only” a doubling of the tumor? That’s what my surgical oncologist seemed to think.

Kris your tumor is indeed impressive! Mine’s only a bit over 4 cm now. My oncologist said the liver has lots of redundancy, and in her opinion, the tumors haven’t “exploded.”

She is more worried keeping about keeping the stent from occluding again than about the tumors in my liver (and lungs and lymph nodes). Does that make sense to you all? I’m having more pain, but am hoping to make it through Christmas with the family.

Any thoughts / similar experiences would be very welcome!

best to all–so wonderful to share with a community that totally gets it!–Cody

ajcarman72
    Spectator

Wishing the best to your dad Lee!

devoncat
    Spectator

Lee,
    Not that I try to make everything about me…but here I go talking about ME again! :)

Not to brag…but my tumor is BIGGER than your dads. I had chemo, first Xeloda and Oxilaplatin and that didnt work at all. Now I am on Gemzar and Cisplatin. Why? Because my doctor and her collegues believe that the tumor could respond enough to chemo to make surgery a possiblity. And if it “possible” for me and my big fat tumor, Leroy, than it is a possiblity for your dad.

This cancer is unpredictable. Some people get 50 to 70% shrinkage with chemo, some get growth. Some people remain stable for years, some peoples tumors rapidly grow. With such differences, there is no way to make the “right” choice, only the right choice at the moment given the information you have now. Perhaps your dad is like me, I would rather risk the side effects of chemo than question what would have happened if I had tried.

Hope your father gets great results.

Kris

lainy
    Spectator

Dear Lee, your dad must be a really wonderful man and his wanting to fight is a tribute to his strength. It is his decision and he is lucky to have you traveling this nightmare journey with him. Praying for positive results.

marions

Lee…I agree with Bazel’s comments. Your Dad has made a decision to fight this cancer on his terms. Although, I understand your concerns I do congratulate your Dad for taking control of his illness. We always have doubt as to whether the road we chose might be the right one but, your Dad is wanting to do it his way and he will need the support of everyone involved. Sometimes it can be very difficult for us to watch those we love move in a direction we don’t totally agree with but, then this is what it is all about; supporting and loving. I have been there Lee, and so much understand your concerns.
    I am wishing for the absolute best results coming your way,
    Marion

Bazel
    Spectator

Lee,

Spend any time on this board and you quickly learn that attitude is a huge contributing factor to patient success and coping. If you’re dad is set on his course of treatment, he will do much better than someone who was wavering.

Continue to support your dad by learning what his journey will include and how you can be there for him.

Take Care,

Bz

desperatelee
    Spectator

Hi All,

Just a quick post to offer a bit of hope to all. My 81 year old dad was recently diagnosed with CC as an incidental finding to some minor bladder grief he was having. He has been, and remains well and asymptomatic, despite this whopper of a tumour (13.3 cm x 7.6 cm), in addition to numerous others. This clarifies for me the reason they denied any surgical considerations. He has decided to try chemo, Gemzar and cisplatin, as the medical community cannot imagine his condition will remain comfortable in the long term. I am on the fence myself, as the tumour was stable over the first MRI in mid-June. and the subsequent follow-up in mid-September. However, it is not my decision to make, and Dad really didn’t miss a beat in his decision making, asking a number of really astute questions. Here’s wishing him, and all suffering with this horrid disease, best of results in their chosen option of dealing with it. I will keep you apprised of how he responds and tolerates the chemo, as I know many, including myself, have questions and doubts.

Lee

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.