2012 ASCO MEETING

Discussion Board Forums General Discussion 2012 ASCO MEETING

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gavin

Well said Marion! And my thanks to you as well Lesley for attending the conference. As you say, what a great way to celebrate your 2 year anniversary and my congratulations to you for that as well!

Hugs,

Gavin

marions

Thanks guys for all you do too. I can never emphasize enough the appreciation I have for all. We are in this together and together we can and we already have made an impact on this dreadful disease.
    At present I am in contact with numerous people so kindly offering their help to us. As you already know – this is a volunteer organization – there are no monetary gains to reap – all monies are designated to further research. Our reward will be the ultimate: THE CURE.

And for those of you unable to help in any other way please, know that you already are doing your part by posting on our discussion board. And hence my comments: we are in this together and together we will win this fight.
    Hugs and tons of love to all,
    Marion

lainy
    Spectator

Oh, yes you would have! You are a good force on your own and you are so right that people should not be timid to volunteer. It is so important to put faces to the reality!

snezzie

Thanks to both Kris and Lainy.

The point that I wanted to make ( which I completely lost…..) is to any
    of our members who ever thought about volunteering but hesitated or
    changed their mind for the same reason that I almost did….shouldn’t.

You don’t need to be medically savvy or a whiz at computers or have
    credentials…. you just need to ‘show up’ and you’ll find your niche.

@Lainy- Teddy and I would have been quite a force together ! :D

lainy
    Spectator

Oh, Lesley, you had a very important job to do and you did it beautifully. You are so right about Marion as I have seen the lady in action as well! She walks in to the room and everything becomes fascinating and awesome! You also brought back some memories to me today. Teddy and I helped Marion here in Phoenix about 4 years ago. Teddy NEVER went on a computer but he sure was a people person. We laughed that he reeled the Doctors in and Marion closed the the sale. There were Docs walking fast in the aisle and the little guy just stood out there and said, “I am a CC survivor, I had a Whipple”. Everyone one of the Docs stopped and wanted to hear his story. Of all the things Teddy did in his life he never stopped telling the story of that day. So, I totally understand how you feel. BTW CONGRATULATIONS on your 2 years, not a small feat!

kris00j
    Spectator

Thank you Lesley for your post. That’s a wonderful thing to do! And thanks to everyone who attends these seminars and passes on information to those of us that are not medically savvy.
    Kris

snezzie

Hi-
    I am 2 years since surgery. I celebrated it by attending this event at the Moscone Center in san Francisco.

When I first found this site I looked into volunteering but at the time- I didn’t
    have any of the qualifications that was needed.
    I’m not really computer savvy and I type using 3 fingers.
    So I thought that I would ‘do my bit’ by volunteering at these events.

You should see Marion. She is amazing. She can hold her own in any discussion with these world eminent oncological surgeons, researchers, scientists and oncologists. She attends meetings, listens to lectures and
    sits in on seminars as well as checking in with me at the booth to make sure
    that all is well.
    Listening to her speak with these people is fascinating and interesting to me.

Tim, my fellow volunteer, is experienced in Research so he attended some meetings and reviewed the Abstracts for anything that pertained to CC.

I stayed at the CC booth and wished that I, too, could have done something equally as important for us all. I chastised myself for not paying more
    attention at that computer class I took 3 years ago………

But on the way home I realized that because of me ( as a volunteer) Marion could represent us at the Task Force meetings and Tim could attend those seminars/lectures and report on them for us.
    And when the doctors and researchers came to the booth I told them that I was a CC patient and they would ask me questions. I wasn’t shy about it/I answered all their questions.
    I told them about our site and of how much it/ you all helped me. I told them that a lot of what I know about CC- I learned from our CC site and that I had to find it on my own and asked them to please refer their patients to the CC foundation site.
    Some of these people were oncologists that have never had a CC patient- some were researchers or scientists and did not deal with people face to face in their work.
    And it dawned on me that what I had done that day was also important–
    I HAD PUT A FACE TO THIS TERRIBLE CANCER. I had stood in front of these
    researchers/scientists and had humanized this cancer to them.
    I wasn’t a ‘Liver’ or ‘Bile Duct Ca’ in front of them- I was a tall woman smiling at them and speaking with them – a human being.

I don’t think that I could have celebrated my 2 year anniversary in a better way.
    Lesley

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.