26 year Survivor

Discussion Board Forums Survivor Stories 26 year Survivor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hercules

Hello Grandma05, incredible story, I have read about twenty year survivors but never heard from one, you are a miracle our community should know about, your story gives hope to people facing the same prognosis. Please stay in touch, I don’t mind being outlived  (by more than 10 years for gosh sake ) that is fantastic. You should tell the world of this again, your survival technically begins the day you discovered your tumor, so you may have more than 26, incredible .

bglass

Hi Grandma05,

All I can say is Wow! 26 years and counting.  I think this makes you the Dean of our Discussion Board.  I hope we can hear from you from time to time.  It certainly is nice to have you with us.

I had not yet encountered anyone treated with interferon, and looked it up.  I found some medical articles about using interferon for cholangiocarcinoma published in the mid-1990s, which would have been around the time you were treated.  Have you communicated back to your original doctors that you have done so well?

So pleased to meet you, take care, Mary

Grandma05
    Spectator

I was diagnosed in 1994 in stage 3 at 36 years old. Was devastated as I was told I would had about 6 mos to live. They had me tell my children (10 & 14) which I regret telling them.
    I was not a candidate for chemotherapy instead I had a new clinical trial drug called Interferon. I took Interferon for a year (felt like I had the flu for a year). I also had 3 surgeries. They removed my cystic duct, gallbladder, part of my bile duct and a small portion of my liver.
    We never knew how exactly I was cured if it was the surgeries, Interferon or combination of the two.
    It’s been 26 years and I’m so thankful I was able to finish raising my children and now I’m a Grandma of 5!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Survivor Stories’ is closed to new topics and replies.