33 yr old with Stage IV intrahepatic CC – became surigical candidate

Discussion Board Forums Introductions! 33 yr old with Stage IV intrahepatic CC – became surigical candidate

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    iowagirl

Christopher, I did 5 rounds before the gem/cis really slammed me with reduced blood counts and kidney numbers rising. Needed a transfusion at that point. After sitting out an extra week, I did the final round of chemo (6 rounds) and called it good. For me, the chemo was an adjuvant chemo (following successful surgery) in hopes of killing off any stray cells that might have escaped the surgery. Blood counts now are pretty much normal, though hemoglobin has taken a long time to even get to the bottom end of normal. My kidneys sustained enough damage to stay just slightly above the normal range and appear to be stable there. I don’t think that they would have me do chemo again. It was briefly mentioned after surgery for recurrence, but because of the side effects I had, it was decided that it probably wasn’t worth it. And…of course, the CC had returned in spite of the first chemo, so doing chemo again seemed more like a waste of time and side effects.

middlesister1

Hi,

My mother is much older, but 6 cycles was plenty for her. After the chemo she had two rounds of Y-90 treatments and has been treatment-free since Nov. 2014. The chemo was still working well for her, but we pushed to try other treatments while she still was feeling strong enough and before it started progressing. Have they discussed another attempt at surgery? And, also wondering if you have gotten a second opinion. I’m very happy the chemo continues to work (maybe it’s a lower dose) but I would always ask for what plan B is.

Best wishes,
    Catherine

marions

Christopher….. as far as I know, if the disease shrinks but does not disappear, chemotherapy will continue as long as it is tolerated and the disease does not grow.
    Hugs,
    Marion

lainy
    Spectator

Christopher, YEA! HURRAH! Bestest news ever and I am doing my cart wheels for you! I am so very happy and keep up the great work. I cannot answer your question but HALLELUAH! Congratulations on your Marriage and what I am sure are beautiful twins!

eadychr

Approaching 60 treatments of gem/cis gem/carbo most recent scan showed more shrinkage. No cancer related symptoms. Feeling fortunate. Wondering how many treatments I’ll be able to do. I feel like 100 ‘century club’ is within reach. Anyone else out there doing this many treatments?

marions

Christopher…..Ha, ha….no you don’t HAVE to leave the group however; most likely you would want to should indeed this turn out to be a different cancer. The news is absolutely, totally, awesome. Individually tumor markers are not given much credence, but they are of importance at onset of treatment and throughout the course of treatment. Congratulations, Christopher. For all we know these markers may just stay put.
    Hugs,
    Marion

eadychr

Thanks for feedback. It’s nice to hear from everyone.

I’m now fully recovered from my failed liver resection. Over the holidays I had another scan and I continue to be stable so I’m happy about that. I got my CA19-9 tested and I’m at 28. So within the normal range (they told me < 35 was the normal range). I also found out that my CA19-9 was around 2300 when I was first diagnosed. I’m going to start Chemo again in a couple of weeks. I’ve been off now for almost 6 months without any form of treatment. My doctors seem to be questioning my diagnosis a little [does this mean I have to leave the group :) ] On one hand they are confident because it responded well to treatment but on the other its not normal for it to respond this well or stay stable this long. I’m going to do another colonoscopy just to make sure there aren’t any signs of colon cancer.

Catherine the only other targeted therapy that we’ve really discussed is radiation. My understanding is that historically it wasn’t done on the liver but that they are making progress in this area. They don’t do this at my home facility but I am exploring this option at another center (where I had my surgery).

mbachini

Christopher,
    Welcome to the cc boards and thank you for sharing your amazing story. You have had some great blessings along the way! I always wanted twins!! Please keep us updated on your progress and I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Hugs to you….Melinda

lisacraine
    Spectator

Christopher,
    Congrats on marriage and twins, I bet your household is busy! You have a great attitude and I will be praying you can have a resection. I was diagnosed stage IV in 2010 and have had two resections. Sending hugs to Canada.
    Lisa

middlesister1

Christopher,

I’m sorry they couldn’t do the resection, but happy that you responded so well to chemo. Just a thought, but since my mother’s tumor was in an inoperable place, they are doing SIRT a second time with the goal of not only killing the tumor, but killing off the left lobe of the liver and letting the right take over. I found some limited studies that when this happened (typically not on purpose), there were long survival times- getting the benefit of surgery but the lobe is removed through radiation.

I guess my question is have they considered any other targeted treatments?

Catherine

iowagirl

Christopher, First…congratulations on your marriage the birth of twins. You have a very busy household, I”m sure. Those little ones are a constant reminder of why you need to continue fighting as you have been doing. I was elated when I saw your post subject…and still am….but at the same time, I feel badly for you that the resection wasn’t done. That never makes sense to me…..when they’ve already opened you up…..why not move forward and finish the job? I believe you will get there again…..to a place where you can be offered surgery again. You had an incredible response to the chemo and there’s no reason to think that won’t continue and eventually kill off all the nasty stuff. Perhaps this time, they just stopped the chemo prematurely before it had killed off every last microscopic cell. I admire your attitude and will add you to my prayers.

Julie T.

lainy
    Spectator

Dear Christopher, WOW, what a good news bad news story but welcome to our CC Family as this is the best place to be for CC support. I do know that we have had quite a few Stage IV successful surgeries. I am sure some of them will chime in here about their experience. Congratulations on your twins, double the reason to beat this monster! Please keep us updated on your progress and watch our site for some more answers!

eadychr

I was diagnosed April of 2013, shortly after my 32nd birthday. I was engaged to be married (I’m now married) and my wife was 4 months pregnant with twins at the time (I now have a 14 month old son and daughter). I’ve been battling for 19 months now.

I had an egg sized tumor in the left lobe of my liver and several nodes on my peritoneum. So I wasn’t off to a great start but a typical one for many people with CC. My only real option was Chemo so we started with Gem & Cisplatin. I was lucky. I tolerated the chemo really well and I immediately had really positive results. My cancer related symptoms were gone within 6 weeks and my CTs showed really positive results with all of the tumors shrinking steadily over time. I don’t have CA19-9 numbers or PET results like most of the people on here, perhaps because I’m from Canada.

I did chemo for a little over a year, just under 30 treatments. At that point we could no longer see the peritoneum nodes on CT and the liver tumor was very small, mostly scar tissue. From what my team here tells me it’s pretty rare to make this sort of progress. At this point I begin consulting with a surgical oncologist about a liver resection for what’s left of this tumor in the left lobe of my liver. At first he is impressed by the progress but also clearly not ready to do surgery (I’m stage IV after all). He said that if I want to potentially become a surgical candidate I have to go off of Chemo for a period of time to see how stable I am. He had one patient who had done this and it went well. She had surgery and was doing fine 18 months later. Another went off chemo and the cancer came back right away. So she never got surgery.

So after some deliberation that’s what I did. I took a break from Chemo. 3 wks go by, my CT is stable. 8 wks go by. My CT is stable. After 14 weeks without treatment they call me up and tell me my case was reviewed and that they were now willing to do a liver section (remember I was stage IV). So I go in for the liver resection Nov 2014. In the OR prior to starting the resection they expose an area known to previously have had a cancerous node and they can still see a small amount of active cancer (pathology confirms); about 5mm in diameter (something like 3/16ths of an inch for the U.S. crowd). They remove this node but they don’t proceed any further with the procedure because the status of the other nodes is now questionable. Surgery was only approved on the premise that the mets had been completely destroyed by the chemo (this would be very rare but they were willing to take a chance). My surgeon said that I would have to remain stable for a long period of time before they would consider surgery again. Maybe another yr plus time off chemo again. This was my first real set back.

That brings us pretty close to current day. 4 wks after the procedure and I’m healed up (about a 4 inch incision just below my rib cage, right down the middle.). I’m waiting on another CT and expecting to start Chemo again (Gem & Cisplatin) the first week of January. I still feel great. No cancer related symptoms at all. I’m obviously disappointed that the surgery didn’t work out but I also feel extremely fortunate to have made it this far given the context. I know many have not been as fortunate.

The main reason I wrote this post is because I wanted people with Stage IV CC to know that occasionally, if you’re lucky, you can become a surgical candidate. If you’re a little luckier then me you might even get the resection :) I’m hoping I’ll get a second shot but who knows. I’ll keep you posted.

All the best,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Introductions!’ is closed to new topics and replies.