December 14, 2016 at 1:27 am #93614kbyrnzParticipant
( I just posted this on the surgery, resections and treatment options thread, curious to see what people think about this topic)
I just completed six treatment sessions of chemotherapy (gem/cis). On my first follow-up Ct scan I am happy to report that there has been shrinkage with my intrahepatic tumor as well as the surrounding lymph node involvement. This afternoon I heard from my surgeon about his next plan of action. He told me that since my tumors seem to responding well to the chemo, he wants me to continue with chemo for a total of 6 months at which point he will perform a resection as well as a procedure called HIPEC where “heated chemotherapy solution is pumped through your abdomen for 2 hours. This is performed at the same time as the resection” He says that with the removal of all detectable tumors and HIPEC there is now hope for long-term survival. I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed with his plan. I was hoping for surgery ASAP. I know that CC is an aggressive cancer and I keep fearing metastatic growth. Has anyone had this HIPEC procedure? How long have your surgeons wanted to wait to perform your resections while continuing on chemo? When I first sought out opinions when diagnosed I was told by 3 surgeons that I was a surgical candidate but they want to try chemo first. What worries me is the “most aggressive” surgeon is the one suggesting this course of action which involves waiting a total of 6 months before resection. Im assuming the HIPEC is to take care of my lymph nodes in my abdomen that were swollen on initial scan and have now shrunk.
KatherineDecember 13, 2016 at 3:04 am #93615lainyParticipant
Hi, Katherine, just wanted to say we LOVE the shrinkage word! Congratulations. Glad to hear you advocate for the port but above all else you seem to be on a good road. Please continue to keep us posted as posts like yours give hope to everyone!December 13, 2016 at 1:16 am #12831kbyrnzParticipant
I just got the results from my first follow-up CT (abdominal/pelvic and chest) after 6 chemo visits. Thankfully my liver mass is shrinking as well as lymph nodes (peri-portal and mesenteric). No bone/organ or soft tissue involvement seen. I am still waiting to hear from my surgeon whether I can have my resection now vs having more chemo since it seems to be working and have it shrink more. If it were up to me I would have my resection tomorrow. The longer it is in me the more I worry about metastasis.
On another note I had my first chemo session after a port insertion last week. I have to admit everyone who said to go for it was absolutely correct. It made chemo so easy and even took an hour off of my drip time.
For those of you who have had a resection, how long was your recovery time? Did you continue chemo therapy afterwards? What can I expect post-op.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.