5 Years and Still Going!

Discussion Board Forums Good News / What’s Working 5 Years and Still Going!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Randi
    Spectator

So glad when i stopped by I could read you wonderful news. I have had 3 cancers and 5 years seems to be the tipping point, however, with CC it seems that they like to leave it in my hands. I am 6 years out in December and the doc gave me the choice of whether to come back in 6 months, 1 year, or never again., since there had never been a sign of cancer since my surgery. Kind of daunting and I think I’ll choose the 6 months interval for at least one more time.

I have always gotten MRI with and without contrast. The CT requires a larger IV and you have to drink that chalky stuff which sets my intestines back for about 6 weeks. The doc decided that we would do MRI’s from about the first year and I think they are clearer images and easier to do for me. I believe as long as they are comparing Mri to MRI or CT to CT you will see a change should one occur.

Hope you had a great celebration for your milestone!!

Hugs-
    -Randi-

Thank you, all….Debbie, I do feel incredibly lucky and blessed with time that at one time, I doubted….you are on your way, too! And Pat, you are amazing..thanks for more info about scar tissue..if you figure a way to keep it at bay, let me know. Seems that’s where I am having trouble. And to Gavin, Marion and Lainy….you have been here the whole time I have been going through this…quite a cheer leading crew! THANK YOU … you are the best. xx00

gavin

Hi Kathy,

More great news tonight from you, excellent!! And here is to the next 5 years, and the next and the next and so on!!!

Hugs,

Gavin

debnorcal

Kathy,

Congratulations on your big milestone. You are one of the lucky ones! Wishing you many, many more healthy years.

Debbie

lainy
    Spectator

YIPPEE~KATHY! This is such great news to wake up to. Way to go and keep going. I had a rare cancer called a GIST tumor and will be starting my 7th year OCT. 1st. I am now going for an MRI with contrast yearly. I guess when they attach “rare” to the DX they want to keep a watch however, I KNOW it is not returning. To me once a year is no big deal but again in my mind I am cured. Wishing you the best and I can’t resist another YIPPEE!

hercules

Kathy, congrats on 5 years ! I read somewhere that at 5 years medicine considers you ‘cured’, You probably don’t feel like it still getting scans and all, My doctor drew blood and scanned in january and just drew blood for testing in july , one scan a year now and at 7 years they will tell you no more yearly scans, which I don’t miss, they did an MRI the last time I was imaged, they said the MRI gives a more detailed look at the bile duct. At this point, scar tissue in the bile duct is to be monitored as this becomes a bigger factor as you become a longer term survivor. Once again Kathy, big woo hoo to you, take care, Pat

marions

Kathy….wonderful, wonderful news. I will make sure to pass on to Dr. Choti, as he too will be thrilled to hear of the success. Yes, doctors do like to know how well their patients fair.
    Also I added a link explaining the different types of imaging. Overall though, an experienced physician will know how to read the scan he/she is most familiar with. That goes for the saying: the image is only as good as the operator interpreting it. I feel positive that you are in good hands.
    Here we go:
    http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=12089

Hugs and on to the next 50 years.
    Marion

I have just read all the latest “Good News” postings and am so happy for all of you. Today I had my 5 year scan and luckily there is no evidence of any cancer. I would not have thought this five years ago! And, Marian, you know Dr. Choti is so much in my thoughts today. Feeling so much gratitude toward him and his wonderful team. This board has also been a mainstay for me as it has been for so many others. While I wander in and out, I always go to familiar names to see how you all are doing and read up on new members…always delighted when things go well for everyone…and sad when they don’t. It is a frightening disease.

I have a couple of questions someone might know the answers to. Last year I was told if I hit the five year mark, I could go to once scan/year. Today I was told to return in 6 months. I have read from some of you that your doctors have gone to once/year way sooner. Any opinions out there?

They also are setting it for an MRI rather than a CT Scan because of the radiation factor. Does MRI do as good, or better than CT Scans? If it is as effective as a CT Scan, in detecting tumors, why not use it in the first place..no radiation then, ever….

Thank you all for your wonderful, courageous, sharing presence on this board and in my life…
    Kathy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Good News / What’s Working’ is closed to new topics and replies.