5 years post diagnosis… but bad news…

Discussion Board Forums General Discussion 5 years post diagnosis… but bad news…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    32coupe
    Spectator

Hi Mary,
    I have been catching up on your recent posts regarding Tom’s condition. To say the least, I am greatly saddened. I’ve always held out for a miraculous turn-around for Tom. It sounds like it is not to be. I will continue to pray that God will provide all that you and Tom need to face each day and that he will fill your home and lives with love and peace.

bob

pamela
    Spectator

Bless you Mary and Tom. I am thinking of you daily. I hope Tom is feeling well and you are enjoying time together.

Love, -Pam

betsy
    Spectator

Hi Mary,
    I want you to know I’m still here and keeping track of you and Tom. Glad you are both at home and that Hospice is tending to Tom’s needs so well.

Love to you and your family,
    Betsy
    xxoo

lainy
    Spectator

Hello Mary & Tom! I am so glad you called Hospice in and that you are feeling that relief from them and that Tom is feeling their security.
    I think that was wonderful that you had everyone there for Thanksgiving. I like your idea for the second one, about lasagna. But I would go get the big pan of Stouffer’s. Its excellent and you will only have to make a salad!!!
    I am thinking about Thangsgiving and how it will be extremely bittersweet. By now the village would be up and it had grown through the years to 8′ X 5′ on different levels. I have 11 coming and it’s my favorite holiday, I love the aromas and all the Grandhcildren being here.
    Yes, Tom is our inspiration and I feel like when it’s time he will see Teddy
    waiting for him at that big Italian table of food. Jen’s dad saw it, you kow. He told her that he saw a huge table of food in a dream and that was the day before he left. I had told her about that table but she had never told him. I am hoping Tom gets the paracentisis cleared up and you can continue to make more Loving Memories!!! My hearet is so with the 2 of you at this time.

marylloyd
    Spectator

Hi all,
    Well, Tom’s being Tom and making somewhat of a comeback. He rested up after not sleeping for days and is now much more alert and able to get around better. His belly is swollen and uncomfortable so hospice is scheduling a paracentisis for sometime this week. Our hospice nurse suggested last week that we move our holidays up so we had Thanksgiving on Sat. We had a nice time. All of the family was together for the first time in a long time for Thanksgiving. If he’s still doing well we’ll have another one in 2 weeks but I think I’ll make lasagna!
    He isn’t in any pain which is a real blessing and is able to eat. I have to thank his Dr. in Columbus for doing the preventive stent placement in his duodenum in July. He’s never had any issues with eating or vomiting etc that so many others have had.
    All in all we’re doing okay. We all have our moments but I am really glad that I called hospice in and recommend it highly to any one who is on the fence about it. They are fantastic. I will have to pay a lot forward someday when this is all over. I’ve told my kids they will too!
    Thanks for all of your support. I feel everyone’s love and hugs and truly appreciate it! It has been a long journey and I’m glad Tom has been an inspiration to so many on here through the years.
    Love to all of you, Mary

micsyl
    Spectator

Mary and Tom

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Strength and serenity to you and the family.

Love

Michelle

cm
    Spectator

Mary-
    You will get the strength you need. I stayed close to David on those final days and shared all the memories that I could only share with him. I re-lived our holidays, our wedding day and lots more.
    Stay calm and stay close.
    All my very best.

pamela
    Spectator

Bless you Mary and Tom. May you have a peaceful time together in you comfy, warm home. You have been such a wonderful wife and caregiver to Tom. I’m sure he appreciates you so much. I wish you strength in your difficult days.

Love, -Pam

marions

Mary….finally, Tom has some relief from the hiccups. I don’t know how he could possibly have slept at all the eight days prior. Glad that Morgan has arrived safely and for Hospice to do what they do best – making people comfortable. In some strange sort of way it allows for some time to relax. Know that a tidal wave of love and hugs are heading your way.
    All my best wishes,
    Marion

dianec
    Spectator

Dear Mary — I’ve followed Tom’s and your journey for years, even though you never knew. (I’ve been awol for quite some time).

So difficult for you now. However, it’s also a spiritual and loving time together as a family. Hospice care can take the burden off you and you can focus on your precious Tom.

I’m thinking of you both and your family with love
    Diane

lainy
    Spectator

Mary, I am glad Tom is home for good now. Home Hospice is wonderful and Teddy even welcomed the hospital bed. I am also happy that Morgan made it home safely and now Tom will have his family with him in his house where he belongs. What ever he needs Hospice will see to it that you get it that day. You can now save some energy and spend your time with Tom where you both love to be. My prayers and thoughts go out to you and Mary, be strong!

marylloyd
    Spectator

Hi all,
    First of all thank-you Marion for your call last week. It was wonderful to talk to you and very helpful. I ended up taking Tom back to the hospital last week to their outpatient clinic. He was having horrible hiccups and breathing spasms like asthma attacks, plus he was confused and I didn’t think his drain was functioning properly. It was kind of a surreal experience because when he was discharged just days before they were still doing aggressive treatment on him and talking about chemo. Friday the nurse practioner just basically told me that there was nothing to do and to just go home and get help in. They did bloodwork and an ultrasound but nothing was acute enough to have him hospitalized and she wouldn’t prescribe thorazine for him which is really the best medical cure for hiccups. I was kind of stunned because I felt he should be admitted ecspecially because of the breathing spasms. We had a rough night Fri after our long day, including him falling on the way into the house, but we made it through and my son came home from his Guard weekend and helped me get things set up and take care of Tom. Monday I called hospice and they came in and made a huge difference. I can’t say enough about them. Their Dr. ordered thorazine(a very low dose according to my brother-in-law the pharmacist) and after 2 doses the hiccups and spasms stopped. He hadn’t slept for almost 8 days so he slept like a log the last two days and is now a little more alert. His liver is failing though and I give him his last dose of IV antibiotics tomorrow and I am afraid infection will probably set in again and that will be it. We aren’t going to the hospital again. I’m really glad we came home Fri because I’m really thankful he is at home now. Our old house has a lot of good vibes in it and I instantly felt calmer on Saturday after I got a little rest. He isn’t in any pain so I’m thankful for that, he’s kind of grouchy with me at times when he’s lucid but I guess I don’t blame him. I think he thinks we’re plotting against him or something. I tell everyone to be careful what they say because he does hear them even though he seems to be sleeping. Morgan got home last night and we’re happy about that. All in all we’re hanging in there. I appreciate everyone’s love and support. I will stay in touch and please keep Tom in your prayers. Thank-you, Mary

pamela
    Spectator

Dear Mary,
    You and Tom sure have been through enough. You are both so strong. I really admire your courage. We will continue to take Lauren to Michigan for now. OSU would not be much closer for us. If she starts needing emergency care I think we would take her to University Hospital or Cleveland Clinic. I hope things get easier for you two. Take care and god bless.

Love, Pam

andie
    Spectator

Mary,

I second the sugar remedy, this worked for my Dad on the one occasion he suffered from them. I hope this works for Tom too, if not like Marion suggested there should be a medication they can prescribe to relax the diagphram.

My best wishes to you and Tom x

marions

Mary…..my husband also was bothered by long-lasting hiccup episodes. We tried the sugar routine by letting the sugar dissolve in his mouth for about ten seconds and then have him swallow it. At times we had better results with him sucking on a lemon or biting on a fresh peace of ginger. On occasions the hot water and honey drink gave him relief. If all fails you might want to speak to the physician regarding anti-spasmodic drugs to calm the diaphragm. I am glad to hear that you are home again.
    Hugs,
    Marion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.