7 Years Since My Dad’s Diagnosis, story continues

Discussion Board Forums Survivor Stories 7 Years Since My Dad’s Diagnosis, story continues

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eudorash
    Spectator

Happy new year everyone!

After my dad had his spleen embolization in November, he’s been doing pretty well for several weeks. However, in late December, one day before the scheduled date of his first chemo, he had acute diarrhea accompanying high fever and was rushed to ER. Fortunately, after being hospitalized for three days, all symptoms were controlled and he was released from the hospital.

My dad had his first chemo late December with Abraxane and Gemticibine, he had some expected side effects like fatigue and nausea. One week later, when we showed up at the hospital for his second chemo. Sadly, we were told that my dad’s platelet counts were at a critical level (~30), so the doctor postponed the second chemo for another week. On Jan. 3, we showed up again at the hospital, couldn’t stop worrying about his blood results and thought he might no longer be an appropriate candidate for chemo. Luckily, this time both my dad’s platelet and white cell were good enough to have chemo and he is now combating the side effects from chemo again.

Fighting cancer is never easy, but we have to fight through these bad days to earn the best days.

“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”

Deuteronomy 31:6

bglass

Hi Eudorash,

Welcome to our community.  I hope you were able to find an oncologist with experience with cholangiocarcinoma, and that your father’s appointment tomorrow goes well.  The range of possible treatment options for our cancer has really expanded since your father was first diagnosed seven years ago, and I am hoping that he will find good treatment options.

Please stay in touch and let us know how your father is doing.  He has great courage to travel so far for treatment, and I am sure it is a great comfort to him that you are by his side as he pursues treatment.

Take care, regards, Mary

Eudorash
    Spectator

Hi folks,

My dad was first diagnosed with CC in June 2012 and he got his Whipple done in China right after the diagnosis. I can name numerous cons of Chinese hospitals (e.g. VERY unprofessional treatment plan, no respect to patients’ feelings, no follow-up care etc.), but I do personally feel they are pretty good with conducting surgeries as they are dealing way more patients because of the population base and CC is more common in Asia. I would still NOT recommend, however, going to China for surgeries unless you are a native speaker and know a very trustworthy surgeon.

My dad was cancer-free and energetic until June this year, when he started having intermittent fevers. This September, a doctor in Beijing said my dad has a recurrence already spread to his liver (the diagnosis was based on PET images and blood test only, no biopsy). The doctor said his situation is basically inoperable and incurable. My dad has an enlarged spleen that must be removed before chemo, but his WBC is too low so he might die right after the surgery. Except for the spleen removal+chemo plan, the doctor in Beijing didn’t provide any other treatment plan.

Since my dad is still in good status, we scheduled an appointment with a U.S. hospital and he immediately traveled here. Unfortunately, he had a blood infection right before his appointment and we had to treat this infection first. After two weeks of antibiotics, it seems his fever is gone. Today is his third day without antibiotic and no signs of fever (Thank God!!).

He is currently waiting to see his oncologist on Wednesday, hope everything goes well!

Finally, I want to pray for people fighting CC and their families, hope you the best!

“Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.”

Isaiah 58:8-9 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Survivor Stories’ is closed to new topics and replies.