November 7, 2010 at 9:58 pm #39803
Johanna….in addition to Kate’s excellent guidance I would also like to point out that the Gem/Cis has been successful for many patients on this site. Keep on boxing.
MarionNovember 7, 2010 at 9:44 pm #39802jladamsMember
Thank you Kate. JohannaNovember 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm #39801katjaMember
Take a look at this trial, which established the standard of care in the UK. Other ABC trials are happening.
KateNovember 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm #39800jladamsMember
I have been looking up the chemo drugs gemzar and cisplatin. Has anyone had reduction in tumor size with this combination? I could not find that out.
Thanks, JohannaNovember 7, 2010 at 1:43 pm #39799katjaMember
Pam’s dad is sadly in hospice care since she last posted on this thread – she has been posting recently in the palliative care and grief management area of the site.
If you use the search function at the top you’ll find lots of people posting about different chemo combinations – gem/cis seems to be the standard of care for palliative treatment.
KateNovember 6, 2010 at 11:27 pm #39798highsmithMember
I am new to the board and wonder how your dad is doing? My dad is also going to start chemo, as soon as he is well enough to tolerate it and we are deciding between the one or two combo. My dad had a Whipple, in March of 2010, and had to have dialysis, after many complications, thus the concern with heavy duty chemo.August 13, 2010 at 7:20 pm #39797John ThomasParticipant
I completed nine rounds of Gemzar (gemcitibine) in March,2010. Fatigue,evening fevers,some nausea and lack of appetite were my primary complaints. My wife made smoothies daily, papaya and pineapple were my favorites. Gemzar was chosen as a conservative, palliative measure. I believe Gemzar afforded me the best opportunity to live the life I choose.
John ThomasAugust 11, 2010 at 9:13 pm #39796
My dad had his first dose of gemzar on Monday. Yesterday was one of his best days and today is one of his worst days. He is just not feeling well. No energy and has been in bed most of the day. He is also really down because his brother was not able to come visit him from out of town as planned today. He is noy coping well today at all. It hurts to see him so miserable. I would do anything for him to feel a bit better. Bummer.July 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm #39795lalupesParticipant
This must have been a nasty blow to you all. I’m sending loads of best wishes for a swift recovery from the infection & for the rest of his treatment.
JuliaJuly 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm #39794
Well my dad was suppose to begin his chemo tomorrow, but I had to call a cancel his appointment. He is in the hospital with a blood infection. The doctors are now trying to determine if it is an infected port or an infection Of his GI tract. They took a blood sample from the port for culture growth. If it comes back positive the port has to come out. If not, which we are praying, the infection will be treated with cipiro for two weeks. They will then draw cultures to make sure the infection has been killed. We are still unsure if he will be able to get a chemo treatment while being treated for the infection. One doctor says no chemo until infection is gone. Another says chemo can begin once the infection is under control. It was really difficult to cancel his appointment. He is taking everything pretty well considering.July 9, 2010 at 11:03 am #39793lainyParticipant
Dear Pam, Teddy is going to be 78 and I tell you “to chemo or not to chemo” even Palliative was the most agonizing decision he has had to make. He decided he didn’t want any chemo and opted for quality of life. No one could promise no side effects from the chemo and he felt he had, had enough. We were told by 2 doctors it would only MAYBE give him an extra month or 2 and that was not good enough to him. I will tell you this, once the decision is made there is a relief either way because the unknown is over. And once the decision was made the doctors and the family let him know they understood and agreed. I can fully understand your what you are going through right now but stay strong and soon you have to make the decision and then get on with the living for dad. Either way. It is such a personal decision. I have always told my kids when in a quandry, to make a list of pros and cons and see which side is longer.
Much luck in the decision.July 9, 2010 at 4:03 am #39792
Pam….I had been told that Gemzar slows the progression of the disease and (generally) it is easy to tolerate. There must be other reasons though, because several times I have read that it has been recommended for as you have mentioned, quality of life. Hopefully, someone will come forward and enlighten us.
I am sending all my best wishes your way,
MarionJuly 9, 2010 at 3:38 am #39791
Thanks for the posts….to answer a few questions….my dad is 75 with multiple health problems. The oncologist he is seeing is well recommended. She has viewed all operating notes from my dads attempted surgery. I believe she has chosen gemzar only because she believes it will give him quality time. I guess I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has had gemzar only and what has been the result? Ex: how was it tolerated?did it keep biliruben levels down? Did it manage pain well? Extend life? Etc….July 8, 2010 at 6:38 pm #39790
Pam…..If it were me I would have a conversation with the oncologist addressing a few issues:
Your Dad has other, major health issues.
He has vascular involvement
What is to be excepted from the Gemzar treatment?
How will this treatment effect his quality of life?
I agree with Kris in that the patient needs to be fully informed before undergoing treatments of any kind. An open discussion will lead to much clarification.
Once a conclusion has been reached I believe, the right decision will be made.
I am sending my best wishes your way,
MarionJuly 8, 2010 at 4:59 pm #39789devoncatParticipant
I had gemzar and cisplatin and for me it was a very, very easy regime. But then I am only 35 with no other health problems. You could ask the doctor to start your father on both and if it is too much, he can drop one. Cisplatin is very hard on the kidneys so perhaps that is the reason they are holding off. The chemo combo also takes about 6 hours to administer so that also might be a factor.
I am determined to take the most aggressive approach, but I am young and relatively healthy. There is always the decision between quanitity and quality. Perhaps you and your dad need to have this discussion before talking to the doctor.
I am sure your dad and doctor will make the right decision.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.