Discussion Board Forums Announcements Stacie and others: a review of the treatment options

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #14495
    ukmember
    Member

    Caroline,
    Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best. You always seem to have such an up-beat approach to things that if feeling positive can help you will be fortunate.
    Geoff, glad to hear that things are at least stable, maybe with the additionaL treatment the next scan will show some shrinkage. Best wishes to you and your daughter.
    Patricia

    #14494
    caroline-stoufer
    Participant

    Dear Geoff-

    Glad to hear your good news about your scan!

    It is stressful waiting to get results. I don’t seem to be landing in the good percentages with all of this, but maybe I’ll have better luck tomorrow. I have also heard 35% is the success rate, but I’ve heard some news that it is improving.

    I am bracing myself for bad news. I always go to the mall and buy shoes if that ‘s the case. Most of the time I buy Crocs. I have six pair now in assorted colors. I still want yellow, red, and lime green.

    I don’t know why, but I got the same impression about the Davanat trial as you did – that after a while, they may take people who have been on chemo. They may not get that many CC patients unless they lift the restriction.

    We may get home very late tomorrow, but I’ll try to post my results as soon as possible.

    -Caroline

    #14493
    geoff
    Member

    Caroline

    Good luck with the scan, it’s a very stressful time waiting for scan results isn’t it. Lets hope that your GemCap combo is working, please keep us informed. Also we’ll be very interested to hear whether your oncologist decides to add Avastin.

    Regarding Davanat, I recently spoke with Pro-Pharmaceuticals and they confirmed what you said ie the Ph2 CC trial would not accept patients who already had chemo. But I got the impression that in some months time this restriction may be lifted. It’s one to watch.

    Best wishes

    Geoff

    PS just had the results of my latest scan which shows my LN metastatic tumours are stable, I’m therefore continuing on my GemCarbo regime. I guess that I’d rather have shrinkage but I’m happy to settle for stable – I’d been told at the start that based on previous results the chemo would have around 30% chance of success. so I was particularly nervous whether I’d be in that 30%.

    #14492
    caroline-stoufer
    Participant

    Geoff-

    I am having some luck with Xeloda!

    Initially, I went off of it because of hand-foot syndrome and my feet swelling. But on my last two blood tests, my liver enzymes have improved, so I went back on it. My oncologist feels it’s the Xeloda that made the difference. I try not to work long days on my feet and that has helped the hand-foot syndrome.

    I have a scan this week very early on Wednesday morning and then chemo (Gemzar) in the afternoon. (I am taking the Xeloda orally.) I don’t know if or when we’ll add the Avastin. This week’s scan will probably help determine that. While the results of the scan won’t be back on Wednesday afternoon, Dr. Bergen said he’s going to run upstairs to the imaging center and find a radiologist who will at least give him a preliminary report on my scan.

    I’m not expecting good news. Everytime I get a scan, my tumors have grown back, or doubled, or more have grown. But hopefully, they will have slowed down a bit. This is my first scan since chemo. My last scan was about three months ago when I was on the trial for Sorafenib.

    As for Davanat, the people who have contacted me and made some posts on this site are shareholders in the company and not the company itself. I am keeping the possibility of compassionate use of Davanat on the back burner. The Phase II clinical trial probably just opened, but they’re looking for people who have never been on chemo. Had I not been on chemo, I would consider this trial. But after I went off the Sorafenib trial, I just felt like I couldn’t wait three months to have a new treatment.

    The two shareholders of Pro-Pharmaceutical (makers of Davanat) who contacted me had family members who had cancer. Tom’s mother had colon cancer and he tried to get her into the Phase I Davant trial, but she died before they could get her in. He also had an aunt that died of CC several years ago. I think his motives were genuine – he just wanted to let people know about the drug that he felt might have saved his mother. He bought stock in the company as a result of the research he had done to help his mother. My doctor and I had both called Pro-Pharmaceuticals about the trial, but the doctor in charge of the trial said I wasn’t eligible. Tom called the doctor on my behalf as well, but was informed of the same thing – since I was on chemo, I wasn’t eligible. The clinical trial doctor said he felt it was better to stick with Gemzar and other traditional treatments with a proven track record rather than an experimental drug. He also mentioned that at the big oncology conference this summer in the US it was reported that Gemzar is showing better results than previously thought.

    Hope this helps,
    Caroline

    #14491
    geoff
    Member

    Stacie

    Re: Davanat

    Did you notice that the manufacturer (Pro-Pharmaceuticals) is initiating a Ph2 trial of Davanat for cholangiocarcinoma:

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060725/20060725005275.html?.v=1

    This is a US-based multi-centre trial so not available to me (I’m in the UK).

    Geoff

    #14490
    stacie
    Member

    Geoff,

    Here are my suggestions: I’ll try to go right down your list. There are others who know more than me out there, so (others) please feel free to correct or add to what is here.

    Avastin: I think if you are doing chemo it is a must – it has boosted good results with every kind of cancer it has been tried on. Check pub med and you will find several studies/articles/peer-reviewed materials there that can help you. Also, you can go to the “Getting Avastin” area on the website – there is a post there through me from a good Dr. friend and he gives several good suggestions on getting Avastin into your regimen.

    Davanat: You can’t get it. Hopefully Caroline will keep us updated on the progress with her compassionate use request, but other than that it really isn’t available and there aren’t any peer-reviewed articles to read on it.

    Sorafenib: I think we were all hopeful that this one would do a better job with cholangio, I haven’t heard any good results from this trial – perhaps Hans knows more as he was also on the trial (which did not work for him either).

    XL119 – I have not studied this drug and so I can not speak to its efficacy but pubmed should be able to help you out there as well.

    Immunotherapy is just coming so we will all be watching this one.

    As far as alternative therapies, I will know much more about this and the direction we will be going with Mark next week. We have our appointment to lay everything out and we are very interested to see how this will go. I should tell you that one of the reports that I read said that AHCC and Avemar together were having excellent results so this is something we will be going after as well.

    Mark’s scan was yesterday and so we are patiently waiting to hear the results. If what they say is true and the amount of rash determines how well the Erbitux is working then he should be cancer free (haha). We’ll let you know.

    5FU and Xeloda are the same thing. Just in different forms. Mark is on 5FU, Avastin and Erbitux right now, he is tolerating them far better than the GemOx (Gemcitabine & Oxaliplatin with Avastin) that he was doing before – so we will see.

    Hope this is helpful, but I hope others will post as well. It is always best to have many opinions.

    Good Luck, keep us updated!
    Stacie

    #194
    geoff
    Member

    Hi everyone

    I have a CT scan this week and I’m seeing my oncologist next week and I’m trying to prepare a list of treatment options to discuss (in case my Gem-Carbo chemo is not working). At the risk of going over what for many of you is “old ground” I’d be most grateful for your comments on the following (and anything I’ve missed). I’ve read and learned a lot on this website, and done some of my own research, what I need is to summarise the situation.

    MAINSTREAM THERAPIES
    Are there any early results from clinical trials, or maybe just individual case reports, regarding the effectiveness of the drug in delaying disease progression and/or extending survival times in respect of CC or pancreatic cancer, for:

    Bevacizumab (Avastin)
    Approved in the US for colorectal cancer and apparently Caroline will get to receive it for CC. I’m not aware of any trials for CC or pancreatic. I believe the UK’s Royal Marsden hospital are conducting a trial of an alternative angeogenic drug, AZ2171, which they described to me as a “2nd generation avastin”.

    Davanat
    Not sure whether this is “mainstream”. A lot of the reports about Davanat seem to come from the developer “Pro-Pharmaceuticals” and of course they have a commercial interest to promote.

    XL119 (Becatecarin)
    There are phase-3 clinical trials under way but as far as I know these are “blind” trials so I guess results won’t be available until after the trials are completed. Not sure whether any stage-2 trials results are available.

    BAY43-9006 (Sorafenib)
    The only positive reports I’ve seen relate to kidney cancer.

    Capecitabine (Xeloda)
    A chemo drug for colorectal and breast cancer. From what I read it’s no more effective that 5FU, just more convenient (it is oral) and less side effects. Caroline reported that she tried Xeloda without any success.

    Immunotherapy
    The subject of much research worldwide and possibly the definitive cancer treatment of the future. I have seen a recently published “report of a case” from Japan where a woman with CC was treated with surgery and post-op immunotherapy and, despite lymph node metastasis, she is still alive 3.5 years later. But I have not seen any reports of wider use of this form of treatment.

    FOOD SUPPLEMENTS
    Again I’m looking for real evidence of effectiveness, which I recognise will probably not exist.

    I recently met an oncologist in UK (a specialist in cancer vaccine research) who recommended the following which he said has been shown to shrink tumours:

    Green Tea extract

    Bromelain (an enzyme derived from pinapples)

    Asprin (yes asprin!)

    In addition have seen references to:

    Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC) – derived from mushrooms and the subject of an informal trial in Japan.

    Fermented wheat germ extract – I’ve just seen Stacie’s post on this, and read a couple of the references, it sounds very promising.

    Geoff

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.