October 11, 2011 at 1:08 am #53641
Thank you very much for the additional insight and thoughts.
My prayers are with you.
KenOctober 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm #53640pcl1029Member
Either way is fine for the Mayo Clinics visit;doing it now will most likely be recommended to have adjuvant radiation and/or chemo;doing it later after the next 3month CAT scan will give you a better treatment plan in case the CC will recur. For my CC.(clean margin>1cm, and no metastasis). I didstarted 14 month chemo Gemzar only 2 month after surgery;then stop, 6months later,the CC recurred at different sites and resected for the 2nd time.
You did not do adjuvant chemo and you are 7 month clear of CC;make sure you eat well(2000-2400calories/day),eat more fruits and vegetable ;eat more protein and eat less meat.20 min. walk 5 times/week as exercise.
Every patient is different,but if you keep yourself in good health and shape;it will much easier to deal with the problems that may come up later. 2nd opinion with Mayo is highly recommended.
Keep in touch.
God bless.October 10, 2011 at 5:48 pm #53639
Thank you both for the replies and the welcome. I appreciate the comments about the “chronic”desease and the second opinions. I guess that is somewhat here I am at the current time.
I was quite disheartened to read all of the literature and the relative bleak picture it often painted. I am not ready to just call it quits. I am also very interested to hear of the second and third resections as possible options should the cancer recur. This was not something that my surgeon seemed to be very positive on. Also, it is interesting to hear of the chemo and radiation adjuvant treatments, especially all that I have read with regard to the apparent non-sensitivity if the cancer to these approaches. Then again, I just read a very interesting article regarding potential changes in the manner of approaching chemo so as to increase the sensitivity of the cancer to the chemicals and to preclude the cells from turning in on themselves as a means to preclude being impacted by the chemo.
I am trying to discern if getting another review and assessment from say Mayo would be the right thing to do or if waiting on my next CT and then going forward would be best. In either case it is very good to hear others positive ongoing efforts and results.
KenOctober 10, 2011 at 5:26 pm #53637lainyParticipant
Dear Obrienfam5, welcome to our wonderful family where you will find the most courageous and caring people in the world. Congratulations on a successful surgery and recovery, you are already a survivor. You are right, there is nothing conclusive about CC or treatment. It has been a rare orphan cancer with little research so the only thing we know is that we know not much. However, things are starting to turn around. We have learned not to listen to statisics as they are usually old, we very strongly believe in 2nd and 3rd opinions and we know that knowledge is powerful and last but far from least we were not born with expiration dates. Much good luck on your next Scan.October 10, 2011 at 5:21 pm #53638pcl1029Member
Welcome to this site for the same reason as I am. I am 61, and have been an intrahepatic CC patient for 30 months with 2 resections.
I regard the CC I have as a CHRONIC disease like hypertension,It required knowledge,patience and courage to navigate on this long and winding road.
and above all,we need the Grace of God to provide a cure or a way to improve our chances of survival.
If you know anything new on this disease,you are welcome to share with us.
If you want to know the basics about CC,you are welcome to read about our entries.
God bless.October 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm #5760
Today is about 7 months since my surgery to remove an11x7 cm intrahepatic tumor from my right lobe. I am 53 years old and praying/hoping for at least forty more years of laughter, love, and life.
Post surgery, my doctor dd not recommend any chemo or radiation. He also did not remove any lymph nodes. My most recent CT indicated the liver had fully regenerated and did not indicate any abnormalities in the area of the liver. There was a 6mm spot on my left lung but not sure if it is an issue or not. Plan to followup in 2 months.
Spending lots of time reading all types of information to better understand options, progression, signs, etc. Wondering how to be sure that I have all the latest information and am taking all of the right steps. Don’t want to be in a reactionary mode but also don’t want to become a domesday person. A tough balance to find.
Elated to read any of the recent posts regarding resections and the news that others ave made it beyond the 5 years barrier.
Thanks for being there.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.