January 3, 2008 at 3:50 pm #18550lisaMember
You and John are in my prayers, Charlene.January 3, 2008 at 1:26 am #18549maryanne80Member
Just read of your problems with insurance and getting doctors to communicate with them. We have had some of that too. We will pray for both of you. How can anyone get through this without a God to pray to. I know we couldn’t. Sometimes we don’t know where the strength comes from and then we say, Oh yeah, people are praying and that is grace that is getting us through. God bless and don’t give up. Mary AnneJanuary 2, 2008 at 5:07 pm #18548lselbyMember
I AM NOT SURE IF HE IS READY FOR THIS, BUT HOSPICE IS ALSO AN OPTION IF HE IS NOT GOING TO BE A CANDIDATE FOR TREATMENT. THEY ARE IN CHARGE IF PAIN MANAGEMENT AND MEDICATIONS AND WILL DEFINITALY GIVE YOU/HIM THE MEDICATIONS HE NEEDS TO TREAT HIS PAIN. ALSO YOU MENTIONED THAT HE MAY HAVE ASCITIS. THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT CAN CAUSE INDIVIDUALS A LOT OF PAIN AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH. YOU MAY CONSIDER TAKING HIM TO THE HOSPITAL AND HAVE SOME OF THE FLUID PULLED OFF BY A PROCEDURE CALLED PARACENTESIS.
LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS HELPFUL!
please don’t shout in all capsJanuary 2, 2008 at 4:37 pm #18547micheleMember
Charlene -like Colleen’s husband my husband Tom has had 4 chemoembollizations. At Georgetown they do an MRI 6 weeks after the procedure, and every one has had different results and effects. The good news is that it really can destroy a good protion of the tumor, the bad is that they may need to do it more than once especially if there are several tumors on the liver. As for the advocacy issues -there are advocacy health support groups in every state, but your doctor’s office needs to be on the case as Jeff says. We pushed back very hard, and finally got them to approve chemoembollization which was at first denied to us for 2 mos. Push back and see if there are outside groups that can help. Good luck, the process is harder than the disease sometimes.January 2, 2008 at 1:07 am #18546jeffgMember
Charlene… I agree with Marion about the doctor advocating for their patient. However 99.9 % of the time you’ll need to inform his or her nurse/s what you need and they’ll put the letter of support together for the doctor’s signature. Usually your doctor is so overwhelmed with patients that they rely heavily on their nurses to cover them with administrative requirements to make things happen. Also, the nurses can fax or call your Insurance company for you to provide the justification needed. I’m so sorry you and John are having this problem. I’ve found working with the Oncology nurses have been of great benefit with making things happen sooner and more effectively.
Jeff G.January 1, 2008 at 8:26 pm #18545marionsModerator
It is my understanding that it is the physicianJanuary 1, 2008 at 7:49 pm #18544jeffgMember
Charlene…. I’m sending a prayer of support your way! Also If you give me the name and number, I’ll call and enlighten your Insurance company. I’ll give them a real vivid picture of what it’s like to be in pain and fighting for your life. Valium whats wrong with them people! I’ll advocate for John in a heart beat! Free of charge! No approval needed here! I can certainly understand your frustration.
God Bless,with a big hug for you both!
Jeff G.January 1, 2008 at 3:44 pm #18543karenMember
I feel your anguish and pain. I pray for both John and you.
KarenJanuary 1, 2008 at 1:23 pm #18542pderatMember
Hi Charlene-I know just where you are with the insurance companies, but you have to keep advocating for John. The Doctor can appeal the insurance company decision by filling out a form that states what has been used and why the drug is necessary. There is always an appeal process but you sometimes unfortunately have to hound the doctors to do it. I send hugs to you and John and hope things turn around for you soon.
PatriceJanuary 1, 2008 at 12:37 pm #18541devoncatMember
I am so sorry you are having problems with the insurance companies. Sometimes they are so cruel. I of course will pray for John and for you as well. Remember to take time for yourself and find a good friend to talk to and share your problems with. We are here of course, but I really think you need and deserve a big tight hug.
KrisJanuary 1, 2008 at 4:49 am #18540fairydropMember
Thank you. Today John had to have more blood tests and Wed he has another CT scan.
The Dr. just told me TODAY after getting our hopes up about the treatment that unless his liver enzymes are in order they can’t do it because it might kill his liver. I haven’t been able to tell John yet. I’m going to make the Dr. do it.
Not only that the Dr.wanted to put John on a pain patch and my insurance denied it, said they should start with Valium first!!!
When i called them to explain valium wasn’t for pain and that he NEEDS the patch i was told it wasn’t his decision or his problem.
I’m in Hell, my husband is losing ground fast. He’s got that sick little voice starting and I think he’s getting ascites. His tummy is starting to look like it’s bloating up and he’s continually losing weight.
I’m in HELL!!!
Please pray for John, please.
CharleneDecember 31, 2007 at 5:14 pm #18539colleenMember
Charlene – my husband was seen 3 – 4 weeks after each chemoembolization for a followup MRI.
ColleenDecember 31, 2007 at 1:58 am #18538lisa-annMember
I cannot answer your Questions, but want to let you know that you are both in my thoughts.
Hugs LisaDecember 31, 2007 at 1:44 am #1000fairydropMember
Well the Drs. have decided to try chemoembolization instead of RFA.
They say that with the amount of tumors RFA would kill the liver. I guess this treatment isn’t as painful as RFA so that’s a blessing.
They’re going to do one lobe at a time. Does anyone know how long after te treatment he will be seen by the Dr. for a follow up? God I hate not knowing.
We have Kaiser and you just can’t get in touch with a real person unless you’re trying to make an appointment. The Dr. didn’t tell us anyting except what would happen during the actual procedure.
Any info would be appreciated.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.