Forum Replies Created
Thank God for you, this web site, and all the members on this site. You are my extended family. You know just the right thing to say to people to help lessen the pain. Thank you so much for being there for me, and everyone else on this site. Your reward will await you someday in heaven…but hopefully not for a very long time. We need you!
My dad has gone through 8 stent placements at Mayo Clinic Rochester. Very, very good people doing stent placements. He has not had any secondary infections due to the procedure itself which means a lot. Very capable and skilled physicians. I also think that this would be fairly close for you.
Hope this helps,
LanaJanuary 8, 2008 at 2:23 pm in reply to: My husband was diagnosed CC on his 32 years’ birthday. #18631
I am so very sorry to hear about your husbands news. This web site will be invaluable to you. Have you asked about surgical resection? Seems as if pt with ccc have a better chance with surgical resection.
Thank you so much Jeff for checking into this. It seems very logical when you read the research to replace the body with new fresh cells that will kill off the cancerous cells. The study I read did not involve a fetus, it had to do with a relative undergoing a procedure through the blood, not bone marrow, and apparently they get the cells that way. Less painful! Then the donor cells are tranfused into the pt. The study I read was a trial, talked about pt having to stay 4-6 months near facility.
If you obtain any new info, please let me know. I believe they are working more with stem cell procedures in other countries.
I am glad you mention this re: metal vs plastic stents. My father has had to have his plastic stent changed about every 6-9 weeks. This last visit the Dr. at Mayo clinic wanted him to have a metal stent. He met with surgeon and has decided to undergo surgical resection. Surgeon said do not have a metal stent.
Thanks again for the post,
I AM NOT SURE IF HE IS READY FOR THIS, BUT HOSPICE IS ALSO AN OPTION IF HE IS NOT GOING TO BE A CANDIDATE FOR TREATMENT. THEY ARE IN CHARGE IF PAIN MANAGEMENT AND MEDICATIONS AND WILL DEFINITALY GIVE YOU/HIM THE MEDICATIONS HE NEEDS TO TREAT HIS PAIN. ALSO YOU MENTIONED THAT HE MAY HAVE ASCITIS. THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT CAN CAUSE INDIVIDUALS A LOT OF PAIN AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH. YOU MAY CONSIDER TAKING HIM TO THE HOSPITAL AND HAVE SOME OF THE FLUID PULLED OFF BY A PROCEDURE CALLED PARACENTESIS.
LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS HELPFUL!
please don’t shout in all caps
THANKS YOU GUYS,
I NEED YOUR SUPPORT MORE THAN EVERY RIGHT NOW! DAD’S TUMOR IS ROUGHLY 15CM OR MORE. DR CANADY DID NOT ACTUALLY TELL HIM HOW LARGE IT WAS ON THE MOST RECENT SCAN. AGAIN, SINCE HE WAS BUMPED UP ON THE SURGERY LIST, I WONDER IN MY HEART IF HIS TUMOR IS THE LARGEST? AT ANY RATE, WE WILL LEAVE IT IN GOD’S HANDS. I CAN ONLY TELL YOU HOW MUCH IT MEANT TO ME TO BE WITH MY FATHER AND MOTHER OVER CHRISTMAS. I HAVE TO SAY IT WAS THE BEST CHRISTMAS I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED! HOPE YOU ALL HAD A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS AS WELL.
THANK YOU AGAIN,
Hi to all,
The device you are talking about is an incentive spirometer. Very important. I was a little troubled by the fact that my father wasn’t offered one initially during his 4 day stay at Mayo, until I asked. He had some problems breathing post anesthia. They do work to help prevent post-op pneumonia.
You are so funny. I am just catching up on the web site. I took a trip to Pittsburgh with my father to meet with Dr. Canady. Went very well. He is hopefull that he may be able to have surgery as well.
Best wishes, Happy holidays!
I can so relate to this poem!!!! I am feeling a little angry right now. Not a good week. I feel ripped off that we as a family did not know until last week what our next game plan would be for dad. We are seeking a second opinion. Got him an appt for UCSF Dec. 10th. Now that we found out, I am unable to fly back to ND to see him for thanksgiving. I live in CA and this is soooo hard. I wish I were closer to him so that he could enjoy my children. This is what the holidays are about. My biggest fear is that he seems to be getting sicker by the day. Who knows what Christmas will bring. It seems as if our lives revolve around trying to figure out what to do next for dad. Not that I mind, but I feel in my heart that sometimes it is better to forget about it and enjoy the moment just being together.
Thanks for the ear,
THEY SAID THAT DAD WAS #21 ON THE LIST TO GET A CONSULTATION WITH AN ONCOLOGIST. THEY ACTUALLY CALLED ME AND WE HAVE A TENTATIVE DATE DEC 10TH. I WAS VERY HAPPY TO GET THIS NEWS YESTERDAY.
AFTER READING SEVERAL OF THE POSTS IN REGARDS TO DR CANADY, I WANT TO GET THE SECOND OPINION FROM ANOTHER FACILITY. WHEN A COMMENT WAS MADE BY ANOTHER PHYSICIAN QUESTIONING DR CANADY’S COMPETENCY, THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING. I AM VERY SCARED RE; UCSF AS THEY TOLD ME THAT MY FATHER IS #21 ON THE WAITING LIST TO HAVE CONSULTATION. THEY WILL NOT EVEN REVIEW HIS RECORDS TO SEE IF THEY CAN HELP HIM. I AM PHYSICALLY, EMOTIONALLY EXHAUSTED…AND STILL DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
WILL KEEP YOU POSTED!
I FIND THIS EXTREMELY INTERESTING. MY FATHER WORKED AT AN OIL REFINERY. I BELIEVE THAT THIS IS WHAT CAUSED HIS CC. HIS FATHER DIED OF MYLODYSPLASTIC DISORDER? HE HAD SEVERE LIVER INVOLVEMENT PRIOR TO HIS DEATH. I HAVE A COUSIN THAT PASSED AWAY FROM A BONE CANCER THAT MD ANDERSON WAS UNABLE TO IDENTIFY(SHE WAS ALSO ON HIS SIDE OF FAMILY) HIS SISTER IS CURRENTLY UNDERGOING CHEMO- DIAGNOSED WITH UTERINE CA-LYMPH INVOLVEMENT-RARE CANCER CALLED SARCOCARCINOMA? I THINK? ANYWAY SHE WAS GIVEN 6-9 MONTHS TO LIVE ALSO. I HAVE A FEW OTHER CA ON HIS SIDE OF FAMILY AS WELL. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH YOU AS I TRULY BELIEVE THERE IS A LINK TO THE OIL REFINERY. DAD SAID THAT MY GRANDFATHER SMELLED SO BAD AFTER WORK, YOU COULD SMELL HIM A BLOCK AWAY…HAD TO TAKE CLOTHES OFF BEFORE ENTERING THE HOUSE.
THANKS FOR THE INFO,
LANANovember 6, 2007 at 4:32 pm in reply to: Charlie’s surgery moved up to tomorrow (Tues. 11/6) #17681
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Charlie today! Keep up your strength and rest. Wishing Charlie a very speedy recovery. Please keep us posted!
I totally understand where you are coming from. I am a healthcare provider. A nurse practitioner. I am realistic about the fact that my father’s cancer could come back anywhere, at anytime. My hope is that he will be able to be with us a bit longer. The way things are going for him, wt loss, fatigue, weakness, vomiting, increase ab pain, I know that without doing anything, he may not make it to Christmas. I am very scared as well, and hope that he will have the health and strength to go through this major surgery. My brother is firm that he would like a second opinion from a large facility prior to going through this procedure with Dr. Canady. So he will send Dad’s info to UCSF.
Thanks for the support.