Forum Replies Created
Thanks all….we took my dad back to er after much discussion with him. His biliruben level was 17. Last week when he was in hospital it was 5. The doctors are going to scope him tonight and if the stent has indeed gone bad they will replace it with another plastic temporary stent. They do not believe they can get a metal one in there long enough. If they are unable to get another plastic one in place they will consider an outside bag. If they see that the stent is draining they will do nothing. They have told us the cancer is very advanced and this my be the course and we would go home with hospice. I will say after some iv fluids my dad has perked up. They are also giving him pain meeds through iv. He just doesn’t want this to be another long hospital stay. As for know doctor appts. Are on hold. Thank you again.
Thank you all…..When we left Ochsner’s hospital my dad had one day at home. He was very jaundice and had low bp and high pulse. My sister and I took him to ER and he was admitted for another week. The blood cultures came back positive for infection and IV antibiotics were given. The stent is an issue. The doctors said they believed it may have gotten moved around a bit during surgery and could have gotten sludge in it. They gave him scans and said it was still draining. After many days of discussion, the doctors signed off to let him out of the hospital and said that his levels were going to be elevated. Unfortunately, we have seen the bile overload worsen in the past few days since being at home. The home health nurse feels certain the internist and onoclogist will address it this week. Hopefully he will receive a new stent and be feeling better. I feel we are in a little bit of “pass the buck” situation. I will update his condition after we see the doctor tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion of writing questions down. I will ask my dad tonight what he would want to ask too. Thank you again.
Thanks for the posts. My dad was diagnosed with bile duct cancer in May. CT scan showed it was a blockage that was restricting his bile flow. The digestive specialist inserted a plastic temporary stent that was said to last anywhere from two to three months. The specialist here took a brushing of the tumor and it came back highly suspicious of being bile duct cancer. He gave my dad two choices. 1. Pallative care. 2. Surgerical consult. My dad chose surgery. We went to Ochsners in New Orleans who reviewed everything and said he could have a resection. Part of liver, bile duct, nodes, and gallbladder would be taken. Unfortunately, after exploring the surgeon could not do any of the resection. He said he believed the cancer originated in the gallbladder and had metastasized into the head of the pancreas. He said he would have had to do a resection and a whipple. The surgeon said he would not have gotten any clear margins. We live along the coast of Mississippi and when we got home my dad started experiencing very low blood pressure and very high pulse rate with no fever. He spent a week back in the hospital with an infection of the blood and bladder. There was also the question of whether the temporary stent was clogged up. The doctors have decided that the stent is still working to a point. His biliruben level was around 5. I think it is measured differently in the U.S. He is home now and very jaundice, no appetite, no fever, but no energy. His urine is very dark again and he has started to itch again. All the things he had trouble with before the temporary stent was placed are back. The doctor says he is unsure that a metal stent can be made long enough and a drain bag is possible. He goes to see a new internist tomorrow and then the oncologist Thursday. He is also x6 heart bypass patient and recently had heart stents put in. He is on a lot of medication and I am concerned that with his liver not functioning properly he will becoming toxic and not be a candidate for chemo. He is feeling extremely poor. He has drank the ensures and mostly eats very soft foods in very small amounts. Even water can set off pain and feeling of fullness. I’m sure many questions will answered with the appointments coming up later this week. Sorry this post is so long, but I hope I answered some questions. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
My family and I are new to this site since learning our dad has cc. He is 75 and in a month and a half has already gone through an attempted resection and an infection that has had him hospitalized for a week. We are meeting with an onocolgist next week for him to begin chemo. In the beginning he was told he had six months or less and after several conversations we have decided not to worry with that number and take it day by day. He is a true fighter. He said he likes it here on earth warts and all. He touches someones life everyday and that is what matters. He can’t wait to get back into his caddy and go on down the road.
Thank you for your quick replies. We are at Ochsners in New Orleans. My sisters and I have been on this site since early May when it was suspected that our dad may have this disease. We have written every helpful piece of information down.
My dads surgery was terminated due to the surgeon finding the cancer had spread to the pancreas. It was explained to us that a whipple and all other surgery was not possible. The surgeon would not be able to get clear margins and my dads age and health is against him.
We will see an oncologist when we return to Ocean Springs Mississippi. I will keep everyone posted on the general discussion board. Thanks, We are hopeful he has many more years. We do suspect he has had this for two years. Many questions add up now.