Forum Replies Created
my sister has been told that she can have surgery for her tumor at u of penn. it is such good news since up to this point our only choice was chemo, embolization and than pray the tumor shrinks so that surgery can be performed. we are very hopeful but still seeking more opinions. we contacted the mayo clinic but she is not acceptable for the liver transplant program. i was just reading about brachytherapy which seems promising. does anyone know anything about this.
thank you nancy we have sent my sisters records to sloane kettering as well as the mayo clinic and u of p. we did get a little good news today. we have a meeting on weds and were told the surgeons now think that they may be able to shrink the tumor with chemo and radiation and than be able to do surgery. we are praying that when we talk to them on weds they will explain this better and it will be the break we need. it is the first bit of good news we have had since we got this terrible news.
thank you marion as well i will try to contact dr jenkins in boston.
your help is greatly appreciated.
i just looked into dr gamblin. he is no longer at the university of pittsburgh. on july 1, 2010 he went to the medical college of wisconsin. i hope i can contact him there. does anyone know if you start chemo will other hospitals be willing to give you second opinions and treatment.
thank you all for your help. is there any chemotherapy you feel is the best for the tumor that my sister has if we have to go that route. i see that the two she may be taking are the standard practice but maybe there is something better. also how bad are the side effects. we are sending her records to the mayo clinic as well as sloane kettering. hopefully someone will have a better answer. also the drs want to start chemo this week and that doesnt leave time for second opinions. i have read where once treatment starts other hospitals or drs wont interfere. do we have time to wait for other opinions.
my sister lives in philadelphia, pennsylvania, USA. we are trying to send out her records to different hospitals and cancer centers in hopes of someone being willing to do surgery or a transplant. i dont know if the drs are rushing the chemo or not. i am afraid that while we are looking for a second opinion she will be getting worse.