Step inside The Kwong Lab
Lawrence Kwong, PhD, Assistant Professor of Translational Molecular Pathology
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
4 postdoctoral fellows, technicians, and students; 2 visiting students
Message to Patients
- Dr. Kwong would like to stress that patients are the number one focus at MD Anderson. Therefore, as a researcher, it is vitally important that our laboratory maintain human contact with patients through communications, attending conferences where patients and survivors are present, and keeping in close contact with doctors who specialize in cholangiocarcinoma.
The laboratory is establishing new cholangiocarcinoma mouse models and cell lines to test drug combinations and understand how DNA is affected by this cancer.
Cholangiocarcinoma Research Publications
- Overall Survival and Clinical Characteristics of BRCA-Associated Cholangiocarcinoma (CCA) – A Multi-center Retrospective Study. Oncologist. Accepted 3 Feb. 2017, in press.
- Integrative Genomic Analysis of Cholangiocarcinoma Identifies Distinct IDH-Mutant Molecular Profiles. Cell Rep. 18(11):2780-2794. 2017
- Clinical Features and Tumor Mutational Profile of Younger vs Older Patients with Cholangiocarcinoma. Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium, San Francisco, January 2017
- Advances in Cholangiocarcinoma Research: Report from the Third Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation Annual Conference. Journal of Gastroenterology Oncology, VOL. 7, NO. 6, 2016
- Genomic Profiling of Biliary Tract Cancers and Implications for Clinical Practice. Journal of Gastroenterology Oncology, VOL. 7, NO. 5, 2016
- Biliary Cancer: Utility of Next-Generation Sequencing for Clinical Management. Cancer, December 2016
- BRCA-associated protein 1 mutant cholangiocarcinoma: an aggressive disease subtype. J Journal of Gastroenterology Oncology, VOL. 7, NO. 4, 2016
- Comprehensive genomic profiling of extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma reveals a long tail of therapeutic targets. Journal of Clinical Pathology VOL. 69, NO. 5, 2016
- Mutation profiling in cholangiocarcinoma: prognostic and therapeutic implications. PLoS One. 2014 Dec; 23;9(12):e115383
- Cell death/proliferation roles for nc886, a non-coding RNA, in the protein kinase R pathway in cholangiocarcinoma. Oncogene. 2013 Aug; 8;32(32):3722-31.
- Intestinal trefoil factor (TFF-3) and extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) in cholangiocarcinoma. Hepatogastroenterology. 2007 Jul-Aug; 54(77):1339-44.
- CD24 expression is an independent prognostic marker in cholangiocarcinoma. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2007 Apr; 11(4):445-51.
CCF Funded Research
Study: Targeting BAP1 in Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma
Researcher: Dr. Milind Javle, MD Anderson Cancer Center
Purpose: To identify molecular subgroups of cholangiocarcinoma