14 weeks past resection and having pain

Discussion Board Forums Introductions! 14 weeks past resection and having pain

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    lainy
    Spectator

Hi, Pat, what a good and kind person you are! I so sympathize with your friend. This is not so far fetched. I had my Colectomy last May. Started getting terrible pain on the underside of the bladder like a knife cutting me and after going back to the GI Surgeon and two diff. Urologists I got the news that everything else was good but apparently I got “nerve damage” during surgery. This happens a lot and cannot be helped and that nerve damage, no matter what surgery, can happen. At least I now know. It cannot be seen or detected and the nerves can take a year or longer to heal. The pain is like I am being cut. They can try a new treatment using Botox but I said if I use Botox it will be at the other end! I would not accept unconcerned DOCs and if need be I would go to ER. Perhaps even a mild dose of a pain reliever could help.
    P.S. I can’t do Barley either in any form. Very hard on the tummy. Best of luck and let us know what happens. Tell her she has a whole bevy of cheerleaders here.

hercules

Hello all, I am sponsoring a 73 yr. old woman who was resected in December and still having pain in the stomach area. She had a blood clot in her lung after surgery and they had her on blood thinners since . She recently made a smoothie with fruit and barley powder or something like that and had terrible pain shortly after. Her doctors are in disagreement on the length of time for her to be on blood thinners. She feels they are hard on her stomach and may be a big part of the problem. She has begun injecting her blood thinner medication and stopped the pills. She says her pain is constant, she has trouble sleeping and her doctors do not seem very concerned and she is frustrated and asks me if it requires a trip to the emergency room to get looked at, I told her I am not a doctor, but I would suggest seeing your gastrointestinal doctor, and perhaps get an endoscopy to look at that stomach, which she says had issues before surgery. She does not have a doctor guiding her through this, and we all know you can’t just see you oncologist at the drop of a hat, She describes her abdominal pain as an electric shock going through her. She was stage 1 with no lymph or portal vein involvement. She was operated on at Sloan Kettering so it is a top hospital, I told her my go to man is my GI doctor and he has helped me understand and coordinate doctors and issues. Any thoughts on this pain that feels like a shock ? Maybe a suture poking a nerve? I feel for her, she is exhausted and just hoping for a good nights sleep. Mind you I was 49 yrs. old but at 14 weeks I was sleeping on my stomach and long free from pain medication. I hope to help her find some comfort, any thoughts would help, thanks… Pat

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Introductions!’ is closed to new topics and replies.