2009 Gastrointestinal Cancer Symposium

Discussion Board Forums Announcements 2009 Gastrointestinal Cancer Symposium

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tess

You are a wonder woman Marion… there’s no argument there! From my limited time on this site, I suspect there is a very hard working dedicated (behind the scenes) team working to support it… thank you to you all!

As aside Marion, it looks like the abstracts of the proceedings from the conference are now available online. Note that the presentation highlights can be keyword searched via the abstracts, titles or authors. I used the abstract search function, as I was interested in those addressing intrahepatic cc & radiofrequency ablation. One can also limit an abstract search to those associated with ‘Pancreas, Small Bowel, and Hepatobiliary Tract’.

It is great to hear that your presence was so welcomed & your networking efforts so successful! I hope that you, Lainy & Teddy have equal success with the upcoming conference.

Conference Abstracts with keyword search functionality:
    (http://www.asco.org/ASCO/Abstracts+%26+Virtual+Meeting/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_meeting_categories_view&confID=63)

Best,
    Tess

saracita

Marion,

Thank you for your work, thank you for extending yourself out there for all of us that are battling this disease. I know that your work and advocacy is helping people every day.

Please keep us updated, or let us know how we can best stay updated ourselves, with the newest possible treatments/etc.

It’s so hard to know sometimes, if we are really asking all the questions that could be asked.

-Sarah

marions

Thank you… Stacie, Rick, and Sara are the most fantastic people I have had the pleasure of working with. They are infectious in their desire to make a difference and each have devoted hundreds of hours with the goal of establishing this Foundation. This site is a labor of love and it includes each and everyone of you, too.
    Hugs
    Marion

jean

Marion

I need to echo Heather’s words…we are so fortunate to have your here! Thanks for the information from the symposium, it sounds as if there is research being done that can give all of us hope.

Thanks for all you do…I hope you realize how very much we appreciate ALL that you do!

Looking forward to the report from Phoenix. And thanks to Lainy and Teddy for representing us there as well!

Jean

heatherkp

People always wonder what their purpose in life is…well, I’ve got to say Marion, God put an exceptional woman here to help us through thick and thin concerning this disease….we are so very, very fortunate to have a blessing like you to help guide us…thank you, thank you, thank you for all you do and more!

Love,
    Heather

lainy
    Spectator

Nice work, Marion. Not sure I will ever learn the myriad of words you have written. Wow! You do yourself proud and we are proud to have you. Me & my shadow are looking forward to meeting you and I have already taken off work.

marions

Sara and I attended The 2009 Gastrointestinal Cancer Symposium (Science and Multidisciplinary Management of GI Malignancies in San Francisco, January 15 through 17, 2009.

GI cancers include: esophageal and stomach cancers, pancreatic cancer, colon and rectal cancer, and small bowel and hepatobiliary cancers, which include, liver, bile duct and tract, and gallbladder.

We attended a symposium where each member of a milidisciplinary panel covered topics of highest public interest and importance, followed by audience participation.

We are encouraged by some research focusing on developing strategies to reduce normal tissue toxicity which can follow radiotherapy for GI cancers, and we have learned of the collaboration of centers focusing on international clinical trials investigating radiation therapy for hepatobiliary cancer and liver metastases. We will be watching the outcome of this studies and post the results accordingly. Of special interest was the direction of development of novel agents in the treatment of GI malignancies and screening protocols for individuals at high risk for GI malignancies.
    We attended several poster sessions which included: Tests to anticipate severe toxicities upon gemcitabine intake, the use of CD133 expression as a prognostic factor for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma, and a single-agent study demonstrating the
    activity of obatoclas in a rat cholangiocarcinoma cell line.

Other poster sessions included: Expression of CD74 in gastrointestinal cancers as a target for immunotherapy, A phase II study of erlotinib and bevacisumab in patients with advanced upper gastrointestinal cancer refractory to chemotherapy; incidence of diarrhea in patients with GI malignancies treated with PHY906 and cepetitabine; a phase II study of capecitabine, oxyplating, and fixed-dose rate gemcitabine every two weeks in advanced cholangiocarcinoma, Phase II trail of gemcitabine and S-1 combination for patients with advanced pancreas and bilary tract cancers.
    The preliminary data of these studies and many of the others warrant more investigation.

This conference was on a much smaller scale then the upcoming ASCO will be however, Sara and I were able to converse with many physicians (including those from other countries.) We spoke with several representatives of Pharmaceutical Companies who are producing agents for the treatment of Cholangiocarcinoma and we connected with physicians, researchers all of whom welcomed our presence and who showed genuine interest in the mission, goals and value of our Foundation. Many brochures were requested and subsequently handed out. We have befriended Advocates from other organization many of which were present at this conference also. It is always nice to share ideas, to pass on information and have questions answered which benefit our foundation.
    We are now looking forward to attending the 2009 SSO Annual Cancer Symposium in Phoenix, AZ. I am looking forward to meeting up with Lainy and her Miracle Man, Teddy, who have generously committed to attending this conference with me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Announcements’ is closed to new topics and replies.