6 months post op and still in pain

Discussion Board Forums Pain Management 6 months post op and still in pain

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    lisacraine
    Spectator

Adam
    Yipppeeee…no Cancer. I am so happy for you!!
    I have had two resections with my last one August 2011 and my incision site still hurts plus the hernia is still there. They don’t want to do hernia surgery till I have a couple of clean scans in a row. I take ibuprofen.
    Lisa

adamc1969
    Spectator

Hi Lainy,
    Yes it’s brilliant! No my onc hasn’t given me anything, I’m getting by on just ibuprofen but could really do with something stronger at times but it seems that pain relief is somewhat frowned upon!

Thanks for the support you guys have given me and as I said above, I will certainly keep you all updated.

Adam x

adamc1969
    Spectator

Thanks Gavin,

Yes, still in a lot of pain but knowing the cancer is gone helps a lot:) Certainly will stay in touch with the forum, I’ve had some good advice from here and want to help others where I can.

Adam

gavin

Hi Adam,

Yes!!!! What great news and thanks for sharing it with us all! Cancer free, superb! Sorry about the pain, are you still feeling that now that we are in November and you posted about the pain first in September? Hope that you can get some help for this and get to the bottom of what is causing it. But once again, no sign of cancer you say, hope that that will help with any pain that you may still be in. Keep coming back here and let us know how things go for you.

Best wishes,

Gavin

lainy
    Spectator

Dear Adam, no Cancer, that is the best news ever. Yippee! Hooray! Has your ONC given you anything for the pain? Cancer free makes us happy all over but pain makes us cringe! We don’t want anyone in pain. Even though you got a great report please keep us posted on your progress!

adamc1969
    Spectator

Thanks for the feedback everyone, just wanted to be sure that its not unusual to still be in pain this long after surgery.

I’ve just had my first ct scan after chemo and there is no sign of the cancer so am very relieved!

Adam x

pcl1029

Hi,
    If you are not allergic to them.
    A couple ibuprofen ( total of 400mg ) three to four times a day by mouth or Alieve ( total of 500mg) twice a day as needed may help.
    God bless.

laura-w
    Spectator

I had my surgery in June, still have an external drain and also still have pain. I have a pain in my right rib area where my abcsess was, as well as pain on parts under my scar which I assume is from scar tissue or sore muscles from new use.

lisacraine
    Spectator

Adam, I developed a hernia which causes pain but I also have numbness and pain sometimes. I agree with Derin that over eating can cause discomfort too. Have you tried a binder when exercising ? This might help.
    Lisa

Hey Adam, I’m 41, had the surgery in September last year (Wednesday will be 1 year to the day…). My scar is about 14″ in the shape of a J and believe it or not is still numb. I had a slight abscess at one part of the scar that had to be packed and heal from the inside/out so it’s a bit indented (a bit, funny, depends on your definition of ‘a bit’) and sometimes bothers me. I find that it bothers me more when I have been eating too much and put on a bit of weight (and yes, I’ve been having that problem lately, eating too much…:( ). Regarding the ab muscles, mine ‘work’ but I haven’t been doing the typical weight training for abs lately. I have been doing light crunches when I am at the gym, but this past week I did a set of abs in between every set when I was doing bench/biceps (total of 8 sets of crunches at 20 each) and then leg raises for lower abs (3-4 sets of 10). That morning about 3-4am I woke up with enough discomfort that it woke me up. I got back to sleep and the next day the pain wasn’t really there but was a bit sore. Probably over did it, but I think I need to get a bit back into it more slowly to build up the muscles. I don’t have consistent pain or uncomfortable pain, but overdoing it will cause the pain and the numbness is still there after a year. Definitely listen to what the others said on your earlier post regarding seeing either your ONC or a different GP regarding the pain. You want to ‘manage’ it so it’s tolerable while it heals so you aren’t in discomfort. Good luck!!

adamc1969
    Spectator

Hi all,

I had a resection in march 2012, have been undergoing chemo(gem/cis) since April but I am still in a lot of post operative pain, the muscles on the right side of my abdomen just don’t seem to work and a lot of the skin is numb yet I am in a high degree of pain all the time which is limiting my movement. Has anyone else had/got similar or know of the best way to deal with this?

I’m 43, used to be very active (running cycling and kayaking) now I can’t do any of these and I’m getting frustrated because I thought that by now I would have recovered from the surgery (it was major surgery not laparoscopic).

Any advice or shared experiences welcome

Adam

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Pain Management’ is closed to new topics and replies.