7 year survivor!

Discussion Board Forums Survivor Stories 7 year survivor!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lones
    Spectator

Hi Michael, I’m new to this forum so just reading this – so glad you’re doing well and thanks so much for sharing. It’s a real boost to read some positive stories 🙂

Leonie.

Odie
    Spectator

Congratulations on your 7 years! Fantastic!  Thanks for posting and sharing your story… It really helps install hope and gives a boost to my daily positive mantra about beating Cholangiocarcinoma!

In July I will be one year post treatments for peihilar CCA… and I am staying positive that my good health and NED will continue.

Thanks, and congratulations again!

Laurie

Positivevibe
    Spectator

Thanks for the positive messages! It helps.

bglass

Hi Mike,

It is great to hear from you and thank you for the update.  Seven years is certainly something our community celebrates with you.

Your starting point, as you describe, was fighting for the best possible treatment plan.  It is important if the cancer is only present in the liver, particularly if there is just one tumor, to get an expert surgical opinion (or several) to see if a skilled surgeon can perform a resection.  My story is similar to yours in that respect – initially told surgery was not possible, but one of my doctors found an expert liver transplant surgeon who thought he could get the tumor out. I just got my own scan results yesterday, and I am now at the 6.5 year mark since surgery and very gratefully still with no evidence of disease.

Please stay in touch, we look forward to hearing from you when you celebrate your 8th year anniversary.

Regards, Mary

michaellax
    Spectator

Today, Matt Reidy’s post about achieving cured status reminded me of how posting positive results can offer real hope to others that are earlier in their CC journey. Here’s a quick update on my status:

My Hilar CC was diagnosed at stage 3a and I was deemed unresectable by my primary oncologist as well as several others with considerably more experience with Cholangiocarcinoma.  In 2014, my attempt at resection was aborted.  We didn’t give up and later that summer we found a team of superstars- highly skilled and compassionate CC experts at UCSF.  I underwent a successful resection!  This January marked my 7th year surgical anniversary.  I was followed very closely until last year, when my team advised that they do not expect the cancer to return. I’ve enjoyed family experiences that I initially thought I wouldn’t be around for.  I am immensely grateful to be enjoying life.

The frequent advice on this discussion board has always been to stay positive, there are new treatments becoming available.  I did that, I trusted my medical team, and am more optimistic than ever that this disease can be managed and even cured!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Survivor Stories’ is closed to new topics and replies.