71 yo F Buffalo NY

Discussion Board Forums Introductions! 71 yo F Buffalo NY

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lones
    Spectator

Hi there,

My sister had a Whipple procedure around 2 months ago for stage 2 cholangiocarcinoma – distal I believe. She didn’t eat for at least the first 7 days, had nausea, was fed via a nasogastric tube… but she now seems to be managing really well – no GI symptoms from what she’s said. She’s pretty careful about what she eats though. She was also extremely fit prior to the surgery, and has always had a pretty healthy diet, but I’m not sure how much difference those things make. It really seems to vary, from what I read? I hope things settle down for you soon.

Leonie.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Lones.
    bglass

Hi Momaliszewski,

Welcome to our community and thank you for posting.

Your successful surgery is certainly hopeful news.  I am happy to hear you are recovering and regaining strength.

Re GI issues after surgery, a resection does rearrange your insides a bit, and as patients we will be adjusting to a new normal.  My own experience was that GI issues post surgery did take some months to subside and to a small extent are still with me now almost seven years later.  I also still have a little neuropathy – occasional twinges in my feet.  None of the minor lingering issues affect my quality of life, thankfully.   It is important to keep your medical providers informed about any post-surgery discomfort.

My experience seems similar to others who have posted about their post-surgery experiences.  Resection is major surgery, so please be patient with yourself as you recover.

Take care, regards, Mary

Momaliszewski
    Spectator

Greetings,  I was so happy to find this forum.  I was diagnosed with Stage 2  ICC in November 2021 and had surgery in December.  I took capcitabine for  3 months.  The plan was to take it for 6 months to help prevent recurrence but the side effects were not worth it to me.  Doing OK.  Gaining strength back. GI system (lower) still not back to normal and some neuropathy in feet.  Would be interested in hearing from anyone else with lower GI symptoms, which I had prior to surgery and it continues.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Introductions!’ is closed to new topics and replies.