Getting 2nd opinion

Discussion Board Forums General Discussion Getting 2nd opinion

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
  • #70067

    mary– my husband sees dr goodman and we like her. kris–have you ever thought about dr abby seigel as a second opinion? we LOVE her


    Hi Kris, why don’t you tell us what you really think! LOL I am in agreement with Pam. You have given this ONC 2 years and If she will not talk to you over the phone I would rather switch than fight. You are the patient not her! What is the big deal that she cannot talk over the phone instead of what may be a wasted trip. Going through what I did this last 2 months with the UC I would never stay again with any Doctor that I had any doubts about. Robin keeps saying I had to go through what I did to get to the RIGHT DOC! In other words listen to your gut. I always used to tell my kids when making a big decision to write down a list of pros and cons and see which side out weights the other. But, what ever decision that YOU make will be the right one. Also remember how much we campaign for 2nd decisions.


    I feel your frustration Kris. I had a very similar experience with my gastro doctor back in early 2011 when I was so sick and no one knew what was wrong with me. As soon as I called his office and asked for all my records, he called me back acting as if we never discussed how much pain I was in. He then ordered an CT scan and found the mass. But I still left him because I had no confidence in him.

    It’s a little more difficult to make changes with an oncologist especially after you’ve been through so much with her. But you have to decide what’s best for you. I do think you should hear her out and then decide if you want to change doctors or not. I agree with Pam – try and get her to discuss on the phone with you since the travel time to her is so inconvenient for you.

    I wish you best of luck in making your decision. I’m being treated at Sloan but my oncologist was a Sloan doctor at the satellite office in Basking Ridge, NJ. Now I’m going to Dr. Karyn Goodman, radiation oncologist for the SBRT. Dr. Yoon is the surgeon doing the procedure to put the spacer in between my stomach and liver so that the SBRT doesn’t hit my stomach. He’s doing that this coming Monday and I have to stay in the hospital a few days for that. Both Dr. Goodman and Dr. Yoon are in NYC and that’s where I’ll have the surgery. Have you had any dealings with either of them?



    Finally!!! Yippee!!!WoooHooo!!! You can’t tell I am happy about you getting a 2nd opinion, can you. I think that mean, rude doctor has jerked you around for so long. I don’t know how you had the patience to stick with her this long. If I were you, I would call her office and demand to speak with her via phone or tell them that is it. She is fired. There are many other great oncologists in your area. I’m sure others can handle your pump. You don’t need the agravation of a mean, rude, and I think uncaring doctor. Look at how many times you have told us about how rotten she treated you!!! In my opinion, you need to see the 2nd doctor and tell Dr. Meanie to buzz off.

    Love, -Pam


    Hi, all
    I finally got fed up with Dr. Kemenys lack of response/care/thought (fill in here) and have decided to seek another onc. My appt is for April 1 and guess what? Dr. K FINALLY wants to talk with me. Of course, she can’t do it over the phone, so she wants me to travel into NY this Monday to discuss options. Why did it take so ____ing long? You have all heard and sympathized with my problems with her for the past 2 years… Now when I’m finally fed up she actually wants to do something.
    I can keep the appt with new doc but if Dr. K wants to start a new chemo reg on Mon. I would have to take a break before starting with new onc if their ideas differ. Ugh!
    Why couldn’t she have gotten off her self-important butt last month when I all but begged her to help me decide what to do??
    And, in the scheme of things, will waiting 1 week be too detrimental? I wish I knew. Actually, I wish she would talk on the phone about some of these questions before I waste more money going into NY when I don’t even know if she will grant me more than my usual 8 second audience.
    (Can you tell I really don’t like her any more?) my hesitation is this damned pump…..

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.