October 11, 1970 – October 14, 2017
- Brian Herlihy succumbed to cholangiocarcinoma on Oct. 14, 2017 after a long and courageous battle.
- Brian, a native of North Carolina, grew up in Florida before moving to Taylors a few years ago. Throughout his cancer diagnosis, Brian would post regular updates and talk with friends on his Facebook page. His messages ended with #CancerSucks.
- John Herlihy said Brian wanted no funeral or memorial service and would be cremated at his request. “I think he was very grateful for the support he got,” John Herlihy said. “He outlasted his peers with the disease — nearly three years. I can’t say enough about the health care providers.”
- His oncology nurse for the past two and a half years, Donia McGatha, said she enjoyed spending time with Brian. “I will miss him tremendously,” McGatha said. “He wanted others to know his story so he could help others in the future. He was a tremendous fighter and would do anything you would ask him to do.”
- John and Lois Herlihy said they were thankful for all the Facebook comments left by friends and those who knew Herlihy, some as far back as early childhood. “I had no idea he touched so many lives,” Lois Herlihy said. One childhood friend who went to school with Brian in Florida said she was impressed with how selfless Brian was. “He was amazing and dealt a very unfair deck of cards, but taught us all grace,” said Staci Long, now of Dallas, Texas. “He always tried to give hope.”
- “He loved his mom and dad and they loved him. I think it’s so important that they know what an incredible person they brought in the world. He taught us grace. And taught us humor.”
If you wish to donate by phone, please call (888) 936-6731 and speak with Laurie Kikel. If you wish to donate by mail, send check to:
- CCF – In honor of
- 5526 West 13400 South, #510
- Herriman, Utah 84096, USA