May 17, 1959 – January 7, 2018
- Don Henry Kiick, 58, of Colorado Springs, died peacefully at home with his family, on Sunday, January 7, 2018 after a brief but courageous battle with a rare form of cancer called cholangiocarcinoma.
- To provide resources in research, education and public awareness, the family requests that donations be made to The Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation at www.cholangiocarcinoma.org.
- Don was born in Colorado Springs on May 17, 1959, the son of Don U. Kiick and Gloria Cook Kiick. He married his beloved wife of 34 years, Kimberly S. Skukalek on May 7, 1983. They raised two sons and a daughter, Don V. Kiick, David A. Kiick and Katherine T. Kiick, all of Colorado Springs.
- Don was employed as the Central Services Coordinator at Colorado College. He was a dedicated employee for over fourteen years, first hired on June 2, 2003, as the Laboratory and Animal Suite Assistant in the Department of Biology. In March 2005, Don transferred to Central Services as the Mail Courier/Postal Technician, and was promoted to Central Services Coordinator in June 2006. As the Coordinator, Don supervised all mail services for the campus and worked with multiple vendors to ensure efficient mail operations. Don promoted customer-oriented services and was responsive to students, parents, faculty, and staff to ensure optimal levels of mail services.
- Don had a great love of the outdoors originating from his early years of hiking, rock climbing and extensive camping trips with his parents and sister. To his credit, Don had completed hikes of 43 of the 53 Colorado peaks over 14,000 feet and enjoyed rock climbing at Garden of the Gods with his friends. Don shared his love of the outdoors with his own family through many RV camping adventures.
- Don was a huge hockey fan, dividing his loyalties between his beloved Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche and Colorado College Tigers. He continued his parents’ tradition of being a season ticket holder for CC Tiger hockey games to this day, resulting in his family’s love of the sport, including participation by his own children.
- First and foremost, Don was best known as a family man. His wife and children were his entire world. He was a devoted husband, caring father and loyal friend. He will be greatly missed.
- He was preceded in death by his father, Don U., father-in-law, Victor D. Skukalek and brother-in-law, Steven Weber. His survivors include, his wife, Kim, his children Donald Victor, David Alexander and Katherine Theresa, his mother, Gloria, his sister, Shelley, his mother-in-law, Theresa Skukalek and extended family members in Colorado, Pennsylvania and Georgia.
- A memorial service will be held Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 2:00 PM at The Springs Funeral Services facility located at 6575 Oakwood Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO 80923.
If you wish to donate by phone, please call (888) 936-6731 and speak with Laurie Kikel. If you wish to donate by mail, send check to:
- CCF – In honor of
- 5526 West 13400 South, #510
- Herriman, Utah 84096, USA