and help Jonathan meet his goal to raise $100,000
Lori's strength and attitude are the inspiration for my swim. She could not control the fact that she had cholangiocarcinoma and she stayed strong and positive through her entire journey. The thought of swimming across the English Channel is very scary. And I do have a choice. My choice is to use Lori’s inspiration to get me across, the same way she handled her cancer journey.
English Channel Fast Facts
- The English Channel is 21 miles straight across. Because of tides and currents, the swimming route is an S pattern making it closer to 26 - 28 miles.
- It takes 7 hours to 27 hours to complete the swim
- Water temperature is 57 - 60 degrees Fahrenheit
- Fewer than 2,000 solo swimmers have completed the swim
- Only 1 in 10 who train complete the swim
- The swimmer is not allowed to touch another human while completing the route. Food has to be delivered by a long pole from the escort boat.
Text TeamCCF9 to 71777
Jonathan's safety came first. At 9.5 hours (longest straight swim) and 12.5 miles completed (longest swim ever), Jonathan ended his swim in the English Channel. He fought 4-foot waves and strong tide flows for as long as he could. Well done, Jonathan.
Cold showers daily for two years Ice baths lasting 10-15 minutes a few times a week Swim 4-5 days a week, two-mile intervals during the week, longer swims on weekends Work, swim, sleep, repeat has been one man’s routine for the last two years. All his hard work and dedication are about to pay off.…
A successful swim is built around endurance but support from others is a mental lift when the physical body is fatigued. Barbi Frances was aware of that and decided to make sure her customers did, too. Posted in her downtown Kirkwood store, The Sugar Shack, is an article from the Webster-Kirkwood Times and a container…
60-year-old St. Louis man trains to swim the English Channel to honor his late wife who died from cholangiocarcinoma
Jonathan Whiting raises rare bile duct cancer awareness with ’21 Miles of Hope’ fundraising campaign to benefit the Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation For nearly two years, Jonathan Whiting has been training to swim the English Channel in honor of his late wife, Lori Whiting, and to raise awareness and funds for the Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation. The rare bile…
How I met Lori and Life up to Diagnosis I was playing music in a club at a happening nightspot, when one of my very best friends named, Debbie, brought out a group of friends to see me. They were all my friends but there was someone in the group I had never met. That…
- Kirkwood Man will Swim English Channel!
- Triathlete In Training To Swim English Channel
- 21 Miles of Hope: Jonathan Whiting - Hancock & Kelley
- Holleman: St. Louis County widower aims to deliver hope with English Channel swim
- 'I want to use the strength she showed me': Kirkwood man to swim English Channel to honor his late wife